The Balboa Park Conservancy is responsible for the maintenance and preservation of the House of Hospitality building, a National Historic Landmark.
The two-story building was built in 1915, remodeled in 1935, and razed in 1995 for reconstruction, which was completed in September 1997. Replacement of the House of Hospitality was necessary because the building did not meet earthquake standards and other safety codes. Guided by historic photographs and documents, the reconstruction returned the House of Hospitality to its original splendor of 1915 and 1935 while making it suitable for 21st-century operations and activities.
The Balboa Park Visitors Center is housed in the new building, along with the Balboa Park along with the Balboa Park Conservancy office, a police storefront, The Prado Restaurant, a ballroom and meeting rooms available to rent for special occasions, and offices for cultural and educational organizations operating within the Park.